April 14, 2014

Prayer Request

Last night was a rough one. I was in my oldest son, Josiah's, room until after midnight & when I finally crawled under my covers I cried myself to sleep. I'm convinced no one and nothing can ever prepare a person for Motherhood. Or Fatherhood. To try to explain it is practically impossible, yet anyone who's ever been a parent will fully understand what I'm talking about. It's amazing. It's hard. It's frustrating. It's wonderful. It's pain. It's a blessing. It's crazy.  It's love. And you could feel all those things (and many others) all in the same day and sometimes in the same minute!

I think the most difficult part for me (so far) has been the weight of responsibility in making decisions for our kids. As well as the backlash and judgement from others, that can come when making said decisions. Quite honestly, the hardest decision of all has been every year when it comes to school. Had someone told me when Josiah was a baby that this would be the subject that would torture my brain for hours on end, result in hours of sometimes "heated" discussions with others, and take us to our knees year after year, I think I would've laughed in their face. Never in my life did I imagine this would be so hard! For Cisco and I, we both had similar school backgrounds, but reversed. ..I was in a private Christian school up til the 8th grade where I then attended public school for high school. He was in public school in elementary and then did the private Christian school for his later years, but we both agreed that Christian school was our #1 choice for our kids. Until I looked into it and realized that we would never, ever, ever be able to afford it. Especially when we kept having more kids. When & where I grew up, homeschooling was an odd choice & only the strange and socially impaired families chose to do that. It was never on my list of options. Or Cisco's really. To cut to the chase, I realized over time that it wasn't "weird", and once I let go of my preconceived ideas I'd had about it and actually tried it, I saw it definitely wasn't as horrible as I once thought. But I also didn't LOVE it. Like some people I know, they LOVE it. And that's awesome! I wish I did.

 There are for sure things I love about it, but it's also stinkin the hardest thing I've ever done in my life! But I'd totally pull up my bootstraps and do it for eternity if that's what I "knew" the Lord was telling us to do, but it's not. For us, once we realized that Christian school wasn't an option, we believe the Lord was telling us to take it year by year. To pray and seek what He wanted us to do with each kid, each year. And that's what we've done. Some years it's been public school, some years it's been homeschool. Each year has been hard, and each year I've been faced with the fact a decision has to be made. And if you know us at all, we aren't always the best at being super decisive.

Which brings me back to last night. Josiah's had a rough year. Besides their one friend they know from church, they haven't met other kids their age(s). He's super lonely and adjusting from being surrounded by friends and living at an awesome place, to well, normal life and having your one friend living nearly a half an hour away. For a 10 year old kid, that is rough. And it KILLS me. My heart hurts so bad for him, knowing this move has been hard for him and not knowing when it will get better. As a parent, I want to make it better and I can't. I honestly don't know yet what we are supposed to do in regards to school next year. Right now, the only option seems to be homeschool but I just don't know. I'm a mess of emotions when it comes down to this, especially after last night, and really, I'm just begging for your prayers. I apologize if that's selfish. But for those that have read this far and love my kids, please pray for them. And pray for Cisco and I, that we would know what to do  and trust that God sees our needs and has a plan.


4 comments:

Ági said...

Dear Melissa, besides I'm praying for all you asked prayers for, one thing comes to mind. Sara Mitchell grew up in the mountains with hardly any friends. She longed to go to school sometimes but mostly she was ok and happy. She said that the lack of friends gave all three of them syblings a very strong love and bond to one another and to their parents. They were forced to get along and play and like each other, which very positively effects all of them even today.
Don't lose heart sister, God is with you, our Father knows what He is doing in your children in you both through this and what He is protecting all of you from.

I also keep hearing and experiencing in our homeschool endeavor too: if there is much struggle by teacher or student, then it's not the method or person should be forced to enjoy it but the curriculum must change for a more suitable one. Mainly that is why we are privately homeschooling, not through a charter school, so we can take it VERY easy and fun on days of hatred (lol) for school.
We love you guys a whole bunch.

Agi Armour

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.–Psalm 121:1-2

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. –Galatians 6:9

J.N. Wheels said...

Love you guys, and your family and we are keeping you in our prayers!

Unknown said...

Praying for you all. To follow the above comment we 3 kids we homeschooled for a while. I remember at that time my friends were from church and 4H. But day to day we were friends with each other. I remember people commenting on how well we got along. I also remember thinking, ( not saying) well duh, we only have each other. If we fight recess gets pretty boring :) Looking back I think my parents needed the connection with others just as much as we did. I also like how in homeschooling kids are more likely to associate with kids not exactly in their "peer pack". My theory is that it makes them more others focused. Anyway if your vehicle situation frees you up anytime soon, you may consider looking into community activities like 4H or boyscouts or something that may double as hours towards school as well as a support network for you and the kids. Of course not a bad way to meet people you could invite to church too :) I am so thankful for the time my Mom homeschool us. It was only 2 years for me but I have a lot of good memories of quality time with Mom and fun learning experiences. We also continued 4H once we returned to public school.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa, I struggled with that choice also. I have good memories of the short time I home schooled Lacey but I stopped because I did not have the patience, Lacey needed socialization desperately (Sarah could have played on her own very easily) just the differences in us, I also felt that I was not exposing Lacey to enough variety. I put her back in public school and had a hard time finding the friends I wanted her to have.
Some of my friends home school and their children are so loving and kind. If I could have handled it, I would have home schooled and found activities to find ways for them to socialize. I just couldn't figure out how to succeed at it. I remember one of my home schooling moms saying that the best relationships are under your roof. I know it will all work out for you all. Love and prayers your way. Faun

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs